Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Honey, you were right


This is an actual letter that I submitted to the paper for publishing in the letters to the editor. Thought you might enjoy it. I'll let you know if it actually gets published.....


This may be one of the hardest letters I’ve had to write. In it, I must say that which is hardest for any wife to say, “Honey, you were right.”
My husband and I will often have little bets on inconsequential things -- $.25 that the name of this song is “so and so” or $1.00 if I am really on the mark and know my stuff.

When he recently slowed down on a turn to the speed posted on the yellow cautionary sign, I asked just what was he doing? And we bet that the speed limit was law versus suggestion. I thought it was just a suggestion – and so did everyone else I posed this question to. Imagine my horror when I found out he was correct. I wasn’t horrified that it was actually law, but that for the first time in ages, he was right about something. As the SC DMV manual says, “Exceeding the speed posted on this type of sign is not only hazardous but also a traffic violation.”
So, honey, you were right. This of course, does not mean that I was wrong, just misinformed. Maybe if he sees this printed, I won’t have to cough up the dollar that we bet.


No comments: