Monday, September 15, 2008

Foot Surgery, part deux

So, yay! The doctor says I am healing nicely. Still have those dang stitches in my foot. Go back again at the end of this week. And we'll see what he says then. One thing I know, I will still have those dang stitches in my foot. They stay in for at least two more weeks.

But what I haven't told you is that ANDREW had some minor toe surgery the day I went in for my check up. Yes, my darling seven year old has battled two or three ingrown toenails over the last year or so. This last one just would not go away. We went to TWO pediatricians, got two different antibiotics, had lots of screaming over touching the infected toe, etc.... Well, it flared up again this past week, so I called my doctor and said, "I have to come in for a check up - can I also schedule my son for a visit, too?" After all, I'm already giving him my entire paycheck for the rest of the year, what's another Ronayne to add to the mix?

His office staff was DELIGHTFUL in working us in. (Really, when is the last time you heard office staff and delightful in the same sentence?) Andrew saw the doc, who said, "Oh, this is a bad one." Great. Just what I wanted to hear. Anyhow, he said he would have to drain the toe, which would be painful. Or he could just take out some of the nailbed, which would also be painful, but would be preceded by numbing shots.

(For anyone who has ever had an ingrown toenail, let me tell you, having this procedure is the BOMB. Both my father and I have had this done. Daddy said last night he wished he's had it done 20 years before. Would have saved some painful times. I had it done and have never had an ingrown toenail since. Knock wood. Anyhow, back to the story.....)

So, Andrew was such an excellent patient. Screamed and carried on for the shots, but kept still like he needed to. Once the Novocaine (or whatever it is) took effect, he couldn't feel a thing and bim, bam, boom, they were done and his toe was wrapped up like a mummy. We stayed home from school and work on Friday and by Saturday morning, he was (almost) as good as new.

(Which leads me to another topic - how nice is it that I now work at a place where I don't get all stressed out when I have to call in sick for me or the kids? Seriously, I used to get soooo worked up at my last place of employment. If one of the kids was sick, it woudl take me an hour to gain the courage to call my boss and tell him I needed to stay home. He never, ever said "NO!" but still made me feel guilty about being a working mother. My current boss is just so open and understanding about this. What a difference! Anyhow, back to the story.....)

So, I'm thinking that ingrown toenails must be some kind of hereditary trait? Maybe Colin inherited Mike's good toes... :-)

Happy Monday, everyone!

No comments: